Preparing for Tropical Storm Elsa
Wake Electric is closely monitoring the path of Tropical Storm Elsa and we are ready to respond to any outages that may occur. As an electric cooperative, we are based in the communities we serve and can address any impacts as quickly as possible, beginning restoration efforts as soon as conditions are safe. While our crews are standing by, some simple things you can do now are:
- Make a plan. Outline a communications and evacuation plan for your family. If you have any pets or livestock, include them in your plan.
- Assemble an emergency kit. It should include a three-day supply of non-perishable food, water and medication, as well as any other items you might need in case of a power outage, such as a flashlight, radio and batteries.
- Charge your cell phone. This will allow you to stay connected to emergency and safety updates even if the power goes out.
- Secure outdoor items. Safely store lawn furniture, decorations, toys, garbage cans and other items that can be brought indoors. Tie down larger objects like boats and trailers.
- Fuel up. Fill vehicles before the storm as a loss of power could put gas pumps out of commission.
While you are preparing at home, line crews are also using this time to stock their trucks with materials needed for repairs and are testing equipment to make sure it is ready for use. Given the nature of this storm, however, members should be prepared for the possibility of outages.