Wake Electric’s business is providing electricity, but our heart is in empowering our members and building the communities we serve.
You might wonder why we, a business that sells the service of electricity, provides you with tips and tools to use less of what we sell. It’s because of our business model. Cooperative businesses are not-for-profit and exist to provide exceptional service to members, rather than to make a profit.
We think that means giving you the tools you need to make informed energy decisions that can lead to more manageable family budgets. We are not a Wall Street corporation. We are locally owned and operated, so we know how important it is to stick to a budget.
At Wake Electric, we:
- Offer student scholarships
- Give out $70,000 in teacher grants every year
- Award scholarships for basketball camps at NC State and UNC-Chapel Hill
- Hold quarterly drawings for Visa gift cards for students who make at least one “A” on their report cards
- Give out grants quarterly to nonprofit agencies in the area
- Send two students to Washington D.C., for the annual Youth Tour
- And much more…go to wemc.com for details.
Your co-op was founded in 1940 when neighbors worked together to raise poles, string lines and bring electricity to the people and farms of our area. Our members were the core of our cooperative then, and they remain at the heart of our existence today. Much has changed in the last 77 years, but our cooperative mission stands unchanged: To power, and empower, the people and communities we serve.
Wake Electric offers college scholarships, basketball camp scholarships, teacher grants, nonprofit grants and more. To find out more about Wake Electric’s community programs, hover over the “Our Community” tab in the main menu.