In earlier news, Wake Electric has often discussed with our members the co-op’s compliance strategy with the NC Renewable Portfolio Standard. This standard requires 10 percent of Wake Electric’s energy resources to be renewable by 2018.
In implementing that strategy, Wake Electric has signed 20-year contracts for over 100 million kWh per year of NC solar renewable energy certificates (RECs) or the equivalent of more than 15,000 residential scale rooftop installations.
While Wake Electric has contracted with more than 25 large solar farms across eastern NC, none are directly connected to Wake Electric’s distribution system.
This is the same approach primarily used by companies like Apple, Google, and Amazon in meeting their sustainability goals. Of course, the difference for us in that our compliance is not optional but is required by state law.
For additional information about RECs, the following link to an EPA video provides a good explanation:
While Wake Electric has 10 percent of your energy use covered with renewables (primarily solar RECs), a number of members have asked how they might cover some or all of the other 90 percent.
Wake Electric is pleased to offer a new program where members can sign up for Wake Electric to purchase and retire additional solar RECS on their behalf. One solar REC represents the renewable attributes associated with 1,000 kWh and will be priced at $10. That’s an extra 1 cent per kWh.
No long term commitment is required, so feel free to cancel your additional solar REC request at any time if you change your mind. To sign up for additional solar RECs, please contact customer service during regular business hours, M-F, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., at 919.863.6300 or 800.474.6300 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.