Wake Electric held its 2016 Annual Meeting on Friday, March 4. More than 600 co-op members came together at the Louisburg College Auditorium to hear business updates and a presentation from Jim Mangum, CEO and general manager.
Three board members were re-elected to serve three-year terms on the Wake Electric Board of Directors: Allen Nelson, District 1, Stovall; Joe Hilburn, District 4, Raleigh; Joe Eddins, District 8, Zebulon.
All members in attendance were entered into a drawing for cash prizes totaling $5,000. The lucky winners were:
- $1,000 – James Blacknall, Youngsville
- $500 – Jerry Hundley, Wake Forest
- $500 – Leon Floyd, Kittrell
- $250 – Leamon Barham, Youngsville
- $250 – Barbara Gaither, Youngsville
- $250 – Betty Taylor, Kittrell
- $250 – William Taylor, Kittrell
- $100 – Kevin Murphy, Wake Forest
- $100 – Eugene Knight, Wake Forest
- $100 – Marjorie Stoddard, Wake Forest
- $100 – Chris Bunn, Franklinton
- $100 – George Bullock, Oxford
- $100 – George Orvis, Louisburg
- $100 – Shirley Strickland, Louisburg
- $100 – Jerome Cox, Wake Forest
- $100 – Teddy Finch, Youngsville
- $100 – Dorothy Henderson, Oxford
- $100 – Scottie McFalls, Franklinton
- $100 – Michael Dishman, Wake Forest
- $100 – Susan Williams, Franklinton
- $100 – John Green, Louisburg
- $100 – Dan Surles, Wake Forest
- $100 – Annette Green, Louisburg
- $100 – Richard Garrett, Oxford
- $100 – Calvin Grissom, Jr., Louisburg
- $100 – Louise Boyd, Oxford
- $100 – Ethel Mitchell, Kenly
NOTE: Wake Electric has a policy that if we draw the registration card 1) of a church, business or civic organization, or 2) of an employee of Wake Electric who is also a member or 3) of a board of director of Wake Electric who is also a member, then we will grant that member a cash prize, but will draw again until a non-employee, residential account is drawn. When this occurs, more cash prizes are awarded than the number of cash prizes originally advertised. This year the Free Salvation Holiness Church of Louisburg won $100 in the drawing.
Following the Annual Meeting, the Board appointed two new board members. Rodney Privette of Rolesville was appointed to fill the vacancy in District 6 that will expire at the 2017 Annual Meeting. Rodney is lifelong resident of the Wake Forest – Rolesville area and is the President/Owner of Privette Insurance Agency. Rodney has served as a member of the Rolesville Rural Fire Department since 1975 and has served as Fire Chief since 1992.
Robert (Bob) Hill of Wake Forest was appointed to fill the new District 10 position that will expire at the 2018 Annual Meeting. Bob is a Granville County/Oxford native and has lived in Wake Forest since 1976. Bob recently retired from a 36 year career in educational publishing and his past public service includes serving as a Wake Forest Town Commissioner and the Mayor Pro Tempore. Bob currently serves as Chairman of the Wake Forest Planning Board.
Wake Electric is a non-profit electric cooperative serving 40,500 members in parts of Durham, Franklin, Granville, Johnston, Nash, Vance and Wake counties.