Prepare now for hurricane season
While it may feel like the 2019 hurricane season just ended, the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season is quickly approaching and will officially begin on June 1. In recognition of this, May 3–9 has been designated as Hurricane Preparedness Week, and Wake Electric encourages all our members to prepare now for potential storms.
North Carolina is one of the leading states for overall damage from hurricanes, and any part of our state can be impacted by these storms, as many of our communities have experienced firsthand in recent years.
Here are some things you should do before hurricane season starts:
- Outline a communications and evacuation plan for your family. If you have pets or any livestock, include them in your plan.
- Stay informed about outages and other storm information:
- Visit our storm safety page for additional storm safety information, outage reporting number (800.743.3155) and outage map.
- Connect with us on Facebook for up-to-date information.
- Sign up for local weather alerts and warnings. You can also visit ReadyNC.org or download the free ReadyNC app for tips for preparing for natural disasters, as well as real-time weather and traffic information.
- Create an emergency kit that includes:
- Important documents sealed in a watertight plastic bag
- Enough non-perishable food, water and medication for at least three days
- First-aid kit
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Personal hygiene items
- Extra clothes and blankets
- Food and other supplies for pets.