Save energy and money either way!
Headed out of town? Use your time away to help cut home energy use:
- Give your AC and water heater a vacation, too. Set your thermostat to 85 degrees and turn your water heater down to the lowest setting while you’re not there. Smart and programmable thermostats can be set to automatically adjust the temperature setting when you are away. In addition, smart thermostats allow you to control the temperature in your home remotely.
- Turn off lights and unplug devices. Consider using a timer if you want to leave a light on for security at night and a power strip that will turn off multiple items with a single switch.
- Monitor energy use while you’re away using SmartHub. Don’t forget you can monitor your home’s energy use on your SmartHub portal while you’re out of town. If you notice a sudden spike it may signal a bigger issue like a malfunctioning cooling system or water heater. Access SmartHub via desktop or mobile app at wemc.smarthub.coop.
Staying at home? Here are some easy ways to save when it’s hot outside:
- Resist cranking down the AC. Set the thermostat as high as comfortably possible. Keep exterior doors, windows and blinds closed, and interior doors and vents open, to reduce strain on your HVAC system. Watch the clock.
- Wait to use major appliances, especially those that generate heat like the clothes dryer and dishwasher, until the late evening, overnight or early morning hours to help your home stay cooler. As an added bonus, Wake Electric offers a special time-of-use rate, which allows you to pay a lower rate for energy you use during off-peak hours.