October is National Cooperative Month, a time that we recognize the many benefits that electric co-ops like Wake Electric have to offer to our members and our communities. One of the most important ways we are continuing to serve you is through the implementation of innovative technology.
Our electric grid is changing rapidly, as are the needs and expectations of consumers like you. Wake Electric and other cooperatives are committed to staying on the forefront of this evolution. For example Wake Electric:
- has replaced all of our meters with Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI), which allows our members access to their hourly usage
- utilizes “Smart Grid” technology to pinpoint fault locations which means faster restoration. Automated switches provide fast isolation of outage areas and improved system resiliency.
- replaced all of our area lights, parking lot lights and streetlights with new LED units at no additional costs to members.
- provides battery back-up on all traffic lights in our territory. The batteries can power the traffic lights for four hours. This enhances public safety when there is a power outage in our area.
- offers a voluntary PrePay option to pay electric bills. This allows members to pay no late fees, transaction fees, or connection/disconnection charges. No deposits are required. Over 1,700 members have selected to use the PrePay option.
- purchased solar Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) equal to 65 million kilowatt hours. This is equivalent to 10,000 residential rooftop solar installations. We also installed a solar array at our Wake Forest facility.
- offers an Electric Vehicle Rate, and provides electric vehicle charging stations at our offices in Wake Forest and in Youngsville. We also provide stations at the Louisburg Airport in Franklin County.