Wake Electric reminds players of the popular Pokémon Go game to stay far away from power plants, electric substations and other electric equipment.
The augmented reality application sends players on the hunt to “catch” animated Pokémon characters that appear overlaid on a live scene viewed through a phone. As players move to various locations to find new characters, it is important that players stay aware of their surroundings and keep clear of electric equipment.
As Go players attempt to #CatchEmAll, keep in mind to always do so at a safe distance from electric substations and other electric equipment. Entering an electric substation is both a crime and incredibly dangerous, and members of the public should never attempt to gain access for any reason. Another capture is not worth the risk of serious injury.
Wake Electric urges parents of children who play the game to talk to them about how to be safe around electricity, and to always heed all instructions on signs and warnings related to electric equipment.
Important safety tips:
- Stay out of electric facilities, such as substations and power plants, even if the game leads to that equipment.
- NEVER touch electric equipment, including transformers and power lines.
- NEVER enter an active work zone, which could contain moving equipment and excavations.
- Do not climb power poles or throw things into power lines.
- Stay away from power lines that have fallen because they can still be energized.
- Power lines near trees also pose a danger; exercise caution and check for power lines before climbing a tree.