Wake Forest, NC— Appliances make our everyday lives a bit simpler, but that doesn’t mean they are without hazards. Be sure to keep these safety tips in mind when using appliances.

– Always follow an appliance’s instructions to be sure that you are using it correctly and safely.

– Check to see if your appliances have been approved by an independent testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).

– Check your appliances occasionally for damages, looking for breaks in the power cords, plugs, or connectors.

– Be sure that outlets in bathrooms, kitchens or other places near water are GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) specific. GFCI outlets constantly monitor electrical current within the circuit, and if the current is altered in anyway, the GFCI quickly interrupts the flow to prevent electrical shock.

– If an appliance is plugged in and falls in water, be sure the circuit is shut off before grabbing the appliance.

– It is important that your hands are dry before touching appliances to avoid electrical shock.

– Never have electrical appliances such as radios, TVs, or hairdryers near a sink or bath tub.

– It may feel like there are never enough outlets, but refrain from using outlet “splitters” or running too many extension cords. It can damage your home’s electrical system or cause a fire.

– If your appliance is damaged, you should either take it to a certified repair center or just throw it away and buy a new one. Never continue using it for safety reasons.

– Unplug small appliances such as curling irons, hair dryers, toasters, irons, etc. when not in use to conserve energy and reduce fire hazards. Make a routine of checking all electrical appliances before going to bed to make sure they are unplugged.

– Keep cords neat and tucked away to avoid tripping or having pets chew on them.

– Don’t run cords under rugs and carpets. This is not only a fire hazard, but it also prevents you from being able to see what condition the cords are in.

– Never run cords over heated appliances such as toasters or stoves. This is a serious fire hazard.

Being mindful of these safety tips will ensure that you can continue enjoying the conveniences that appliances have to offer.

Back to News