WAKE FOREST, N.C.- Wake Electric awarded $6,000 in grant monies during the 2nd quarter of 2013 to deserving nonprofit organizations located in counties served by the co-op. These grants were made available through the Operation RoundUp program.
Nonprofit agencies located in counties that Wake Electric serves, which includes Durham, Franklin, Granville, Johnston, Nash, Vance and Wake counties, are eligible to apply.
The agency does not have to be a member of Wake Electric.
Grants are open to all project and subject areas that enhance economic infrastructure and job creation, promote service or charitable organizations, and meet emergency needs of individuals within the service area of Wake Electric.
The next deadline for Operation RoundUp grant applications is Friday, September 13, 2013 by 5:00 p.m. A simple and convenient downloadable application can be found atwww.wemc.com/oproundup.aspx.
Each quarter, the board of directors for the program’s administrative body, the Wake Electric Foundation board, meets to determine who will be awarded funds.
The 2nd quarter 2013 Operation RoundUp grant winners are:
– Autism Society of North Carolina in Wake County, $1,000 grant for camper scholarships
– Brassfield Fire Department in Franklin County, $2,000 grant purchased firefighting helmets
– Franklin-Vance-Granville Smart Start Reach Out & Read Program in Vance County, $500 grant for supplies
– Meals on Wheels of Wake County, $1,000 grant meals for seniors
– Remnant Community Development in Franklin County, $500 grant, school supplies for annual Back-to-School Rally
– Safe Space, Inc. in Franklin County, $1,000 grant for supplies for Safe Space shelter
The funds for the Operation RoundUp grants come from Wake Electric members who agree to round up their electric bill to the nearest whole dollar. For example, if the bill is
$104.91, the bill will be rounded up 9 cents to $105.00.
Wake Electric is an electric utility providing reliable, safe and affordable energy and related services to 37,000 consumers in parts of Durham, Franklin, Granville, Johnston, Nash, Vance and Wake counties.